I Hope I Never Forget:

“Anything that one imagines of God apart from Christ is only useless thinking and vain idolatry.”- Martin Luther

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

THE TRUE STORY OF THE WORLD- 1:1

I thought I’d blog my way through Redemptive History.

Not that I’m particularly qualified to do it (how’s that for a teaser), but everyone has a way of explaining the meaning of “life, the universe and everything.” In my home we refer to it as The Story.

I’m using “we” rather loosely. Mostly I mean me, and mostly I use it when meeting those young men who have expressed interest in one of my daughters.

When the conversation begins to drag awkwardly- usually a good 15to 30 seconds into it-I ask, “So, how do you tell The Story?”

“What story, sir?” They always say “sir.”- The ones that last, anyway. This is the South.

“The story. The story! There’s only one story.”

It’s a bit unfair, I know. They’ve come prepared to tell me where they want to take my girls to eat and how safely they drive and I ask them to tell me what life’s about. But obviously, it’s a fair question.

We all tell the story in one way or another. Our lives betray how we really believe it goes. In fact our lives are our most obvious way of telling it.

Christians will refer those who inquire to the Bible. Our story (everyone's true story, we believe) is to be found there; but we’re not always good at telling it from beginning to the end as one story.

Moses and Gideon we know, but how they fit together with Noah’s boat or Christ’s transfiguration…that’s often more than we know.

I hope this attempt at just spelling it all out will be helpful for my kids.

We’ll see.

So, here we go. I offer you- A Story Told in Six Acts with the Fifth Being Primarily Impromptu

BOOK ONE
Preface / Intro / Chapter 1 / Chapter 2 / Chapter 3 / Chapter 4 / Chapter 5

No comments: