I Hope I Never Forget:

“Anything that one imagines of God apart from Christ is only useless thinking and vain idolatry.”- Martin Luther

Friday, March 16, 2007

AMERICAN P.I.E.

I’ve ranted a good bit against Modernity.

Don’t like it.

At all.

Apparently the few who stop by get that part: I’m against it. But I’ve been asked just what I mean by “it”.

Derrick at Beaten with Brains has provided a very helpful summary of the situation- as it applies to American Evangelicalism, anyway.

He calls it American P.I.E. It's a clever acronym for the Pietism, Individualism, and Egalitarianism that form the lens through which American Christians see the world, God and themselves.

In this series he discusses plain ‘ole generic pietism, but it also comes in delicious varieties. There's this flavor, and this one, too. He then goes on to talk about egalitarianism. Individualism gets attention in every treatment, because it's to P.I.E as milk is to Ice Cream.

It’s a thoughtful summation. After reading it you’re likely to look around and think, “Ah, now I understand.”

No comments: