I Hope I Never Forget:

“Anything that one imagines of God apart from Christ is only useless thinking and vain idolatry.”- Martin Luther

Monday, August 20, 2007

THE CAKE'S THE THING- ICING'S MERELY FROSTING


















I’m compromised as a follower of King Jesus.

I’m becoming more and more aware of that. It’s not news, really. Anyone who knows me could tell you as much, but I’ve become aware of an even greater disloyalty than the standard struggle to struggle with pride, anger, lust etc. The really frightening thing is that I’ve been taught this disloyalty by the very tradition that molded my allegiance to the King.
It’s deep and corrupting and ugly, and it seems to fester the deepest in those of us who (sincerely or not) protest our allegiance to Christ the loudest.

This is the sin I’ve discovered on the bottom of my shoe: I’ve sold out to Caesar. I bow before my heavenly king... after getting the wink from the Empire’s throne. When I look around, I see where I first stepped in the filth. It was in the liturgy and the politics of the religious right.

It seems clear to me that Christianity is merely the outer icing we spread on the Cake of Americanism. There are other flavors of frosting- secular, Jewish, agnostic, New Age, but slice us open and we’re all the same inside- solidly, uncritically and shamelessly “American First.”

America, not God’s people, has our first allegiance. Deep down we believe the American Government and the power of its military will change the world for the better; American democracy and its limitless economy is the message we need to get out. The gospel, well, it is mighty to save... souls, but the "good news" of consumerism is the earth altering left hand of God.

I’ve been reminded of this as I struggled with what my family ought to do for the recent Marymass celebration. I knew countless Christians world-wide were continuing the ancient veneration of the lady who bore God. I wondered, could it be that hymns of celebration and invocation were appropriate to this most hallowed of saints?

In the end my conscience dragged its heels. Years of example had worn the appropriate ruts of resistance. It just wouldn’t be right.

But…then I remembered services where we gathered as God’s people, Christ’s name was invoked and we went on to “Pledge our Allegiance” to the one nation cocky enough to declare itself indivisible before God. Ballsy, that.

I remember singing in a service dedicated to King Jesus a hymn to our earthly nation. “America, America” we praised “God shed his grace on thee.” Hmmmm. Why would these same people resist crying out to the mother of their Lord (in the words of scripture, no less) “Hail Mary, full of grace?”

“My Country tis of thee…of Thee I sing," and “Oh Beautiful for spacious skies…” Obviously, conservative evangelicals have no principled problem with praising and invoking powers other than God in their worship services. Just wait until Independence Day, Veterans Day or Memorial Day...even Scout Sunday, and you’ll see. Honoring those we believe to be on "our" side in the context of worship can't be the problem. Rather, it must be who do we reckon as belonging to that "Our." The problem must be a matter of whom we belonging to, whom we are allied with, who we believe (in our gut) to be really worthy of admiration and memory.

America, yes; our brothers and sister across the ages; No.

It’s a difficult thing to give up –if only potentially- the earthly ties that are so precious to us. But the claims of Christ require it. So does our love for those precious ones- whether family, friends, or nation. It is for their sakes that we must be the people that our baptisms declare us to be. The church exists for the sake of the world.

I’m sure that we, as conservative evangelicals, would protest that our identity transcends the boundaries of our national existence, but I’m looking for ways to make that obvious. I’m tired of having to argue that it is so- especially to myself. Surely our calendar, stories and songs would be a good place to look for what’s really under the religious frosting.

Both Labor Day and Michaelmas are fast approaching. Well…you see my point.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've really appreciated my Dad's refusal to recognize any of the American holidays in our church. People get mad about it (he doesn't even recognize mother's day or father's day from the pulpit)...but he remains firm. We've also be celebrating each and every Saint Day holyday on its appointed day with Holy Communion. We're lucky if we get 15 out of our almost 200 to come. It's been me, Jason, my mom and one other faithful man from our church (who can't sing well) at a few services. It's quite sad. Its so easy to forget that we are a part of eternity when we don't gather to remember those (greater) ones who came before us. I'm personally really excited about St. Michael & All Angels. Its one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

"It’s [Caesar's winking approval] deep and corrupting and ugly, and it seems to fester the deepest in those of us who (sincerely or not) protest our allegiance to Christ the loudest."

Whether Caesar 'winks' or 'nods' is, I think, beside the point; my words, not yours. What you seem to overlook, however, is what one might call the paradox of proximity; that is, what one might call it, if one were so inclined. And the simple truth of that particular paradigm is this: Those in persons in scripture who were closest to God knew best how very far away they really were. If someone thinks that they are close to God: they probably ain't; and especially those persons who know they are.


"But…then I remembered services where we gathered as God’s people, Christ’s name was invoked and we went on to “Pledge our Allegiance” to the one nation cocky enough to declare itself indivisible before God. Ballsy, that."

I daresay you might be interpreting this wrongly. For sure as heck, any nation that declared itself "indivisible before God" really is acting in a 'ballsy' manner. But America was indivisibly "one nation," long before she was "under" God. And I for one think it entirely probable that "under God" was intended to remind us of our true status and obligation; no matter what Geoffrey Nunberg thinks. After all, he's from Berkeley, what could he know?


"“My Country tis of thee…of Thee I sing," and “Oh Beautiful for spacious skies…” Obviously, conservative evangelicals have no principled problem with praising and invoking powers other than God in their worship services...The problem must be a matter of whom we belonging to, whom we are allied with, who we believe (in our gut) to be really worthy of admiration and memory. America, yes; our brothers and sister across the ages; No."

The crass and obvious question is: ain't them pilgrims and patriots our "brothers and sisters" from ages past? Or was ever' last one of 'em pagans? :)

"The church exists for the sake of the world."

Hmm...I suppose I could agree if you explicated that phrase "exists for the sake of." For I'm pretty certain I know what you mean by 'church' and 'world.'

Signed,

An Observer

P.S.

Nice blog.

Phil James said...

Hello, thank you for stopping by. I hope you do so again because I’m not sure I understand your initial comment. I’m sure I would benefit from it, if you’d circle around and try again. Sorry I’m so dense.

I’d have to disagree with you on the second comment- on at least four levels. If there is one thing that can be said of any and every nation considered historically, it’s that they are inevitably divisible. Any claim to permanence and immutability is a claim of transcendence. But then, that was my point. Secondly, America was (by design) a federated union of States long before Lincoln’s bloody revolution. Creedally speaking of a monadic nation was an implicit validation of violent force over law- at least for those who created The Pledge on the very cusp of just such a victory of blood. Thirdly, the idea that the word “God” adequately identifies the one to whom Christians owe ultimate allegiance is a Deistic assumption. The radical question isn’t “Is there a God?” Rather the question of Christianity is “Which God?” As St. Paul reminds us in the first chapter of Romans, man’s problem is one of idolatry- not atheism. Is America under Mammon, Allah, Mars, Krishna, Eros, etc….or the One revealed in the self-emptying love of the cross of Christ? It makes a difference. Lastly, any pledge of allegiance- especially to a worldly political power of this age- ought to be self consciously and explicitly conditional, for no man can serve two masters.

So, Christians don’t believe any earthly power is immutable, we aren’t for killing people in order to get our way politically, we’re against Deistic conceptions of God, which make Christ interchangeable with the most ghastly deities of Hinduism, and we are for being aware of the constant and powerful nature of the seduction of the god’s of this world.

It seems to me that any of these reasons ought to make the subjects of King Jesus pull up short in regards to The Pledge. The fact that it did not and does not seems significant to me. Maybe it's not, but you can't even suggest such a thing without having your faith (in Christ!!!) questioned in many circles. That's bizzare.

A little thought experiment: If I proposed that we ought to rethink having the most impressionable young subjects of King Jesus begin every day with a Pledge of Allegiance to another earthly power, what kind of response do you think I’d get in the most conservative of Christian schools? My point was simply “why is that?”

And yes, I do believe that many of those Pilgrims and Patriots were my brothers and sisters, but that is because of their baptisms- not their political allegiance. Celebrating the latter while principally ignoring the majority of the former seems to get that exactly backwards.

Help me with your concern regarding "The church exists for the sake of the world."

Thank you again for interacting with me.

Christ's Peace

Anonymous said...

Hey Phil!

Carl here. I found your blog! Finally. Pretty deep stuff if you ask me. Anyways, when I get the chance maybe I'll comment. If I understand anything your saying, that is! Lol!

Oh, you knew that I meant that "Anglican's aren't Christians" thing as a joke, didn't you? Well it was.

Carl

The Reverend of Rock and Roll said...

i'm rewriting Romans...for my kids.

except not this time.

hope all is well.