I Hope I Never Forget:

“Anything that one imagines of God apart from Christ is only useless thinking and vain idolatry.”- Martin Luther

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A FAMILY HYMN FOR MICHAELMAS

I’ve been looking for a song or hymn that the family could sing together this Michaelmas. I’ve had trouble finding one; thought I’d just write one myself. If anyone else is planning on celebrating this holy day, I thought they might be interested.

It’s meant to be sung to the folk tune Fare Thee Well.

You can hear the melody played here for another hymn, The Gift of Love.


A Family Song for Michaelmas

We thank you Lord for guarding us,
With fiery wings and swords of flame;
Armies of light to shield this home,
Hearth's mantle warm and doorway’s frame.

The night’s cold terror and its storm,
The arrows of our family’s foes,
The dragon’s claw and hateful roar,
First break on shield’s protective rows.

Our brothers older than the stars,
Unnamed to us, yet knowing ours,
Ye watchers and ye holy ones,
Accept our thanks for selfless scars.

Lord, grant us strength to stand beside,
Archangel’s spear and awful blade,
Defending those who call your name,
Before whose arms, hell’s gate must cave.

Glory to you, and to the Son,
Who with the Spirit- One in Three-
Caused eyes oppressed to see our weak hands,
Like Michael’s shield, as a place to flee.

No comments: