I Hope I Never Forget:

“Anything that one imagines of God apart from Christ is only useless thinking and vain idolatry.”- Martin Luther

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

FOLLOWING CHRIST IN OUR YEAR- A PRACTICAL PROPOSAL


I’ve enjoyed sharing pictures of my family’s celebrations of the Christian Year. I’ve been told that they have encouraged others to join in the fun the next time around; I’m so excited about that. But I’m sure it would be better if the ideas and reminders were posted before the date arrived. That way everyone could begin now…this year.

I want to try to do just that. These preparatory posts will be gathered under Labels for each Season/Holy day and grouped together under a Label entitled Calendar Practical Ideas.

Please contribute to the discussion with ideas, questions, etc. This could be a wonderful resource with your participation.

The most fully packed segment of the year (with the exception of Holy Week) is only a few weeks away. I want to give an overview of the seasons immediately before us- from November 30th- Jan 6th. It can seem a bit overwhelming. With a “heads-up” maybe we can select those things that might be most helpful for our families. Of course there is much more or other that can be done; this is all from the perspective of our home’s traditions.

We have an amazing array of Saint Days during this time. Nov 30th marks the death of St. Andrew, the brother of St. Peter. December 6th is St. Nicholas Day. Dec 21 marks St Thomas’ death; December 26th the martyrdom of St Stephen, and December 28th the killing of the “Holy Innocents” by King Herod.

The Season’s involved are Advent, Christmas and the beginning of Epiphany. The focal points are Dec. 25th and Jan 6th.

Whew!

Our family began small. We added things after the newest addition had become comfortable. A little each year. Remember, the point is to make the passing of time intentional and meaningful by incarnating the story of our Lord and his people into the life of our family... and to do this in a way that is joyful and fun. The Christmas season is too busy already. I know we ended up doing some “weeding.”

If you are new to this, let me suggest that you focus on three things. I think all three are doable for many, but perhaps you would want to tackle one at a time:

1. Observing Advent as a preparation for Christmas.
2. Adding St. Nicholas Day to your celebration
3. Observing Christmas as a Season.
There are twelve days to Christmas. I know you knew that, though.

One and three are foundational; the second is just a lot of fun- especially if you have younger children. It is also a powerful time to teach your children the truth that Christ is truly God and perfectly Man, but we'll have more about that in a St. Nicholas Day post(s).

I’ll share with you how our family does each of these three. I hope you’ll do the same with ideas, recipes, etc.

Remember, I'll be posting about a much fuller calendar. Please only bite off what is enjoyable for you at this point of your family's life, and begin with the three suggestions above.

No comments: