I Hope I Never Forget:

“Anything that one imagines of God apart from Christ is only useless thinking and vain idolatry.”- Martin Luther

Monday, November 12, 2007

TO MY NEW FRIENDS AT CHRIST THE KING















My family and I arrived home from Dayton Ohio late last night. We participated in the parenting retreat hosted by Christ the King Reformed Episcopal Church. I want to say thank you to the precious brothers and sisters who embraced my weakness and ministered to me and my family.

It just fills me with wonder to consider that there are such people in the world…and I had no idea of their names or faces. I know that’s weird; but apparently I’m so vain that I think I know all the cool people. I don’t think that’s really it (or at least I hope not). It’s just amazing to me that the world is filled with people…precious people… and I don’t know who they are. My world grows brighter every time Christ takes my hand through the hands of a new friend. Thank you, each of you, for being Christ to me.

I know that some will be stopping by Dappled Thoughts. The stuff that might be the most helpful in relation to what we were able to talk about- especially in regards to Family Celebrations and the Christian year- can be found under the Family Label on the lower right hand side. I’m going to try to be more consistent about getting ideas posted. I’d love to hear yours. Let’s encourage each other in this regard.

I believe the church’s calendar is one of the greatest ways that we can compete with the world’s stories. I know for a fact that its feasts and fasts are among the most enjoyable times our family has spent together. That has great value in itself.

Our salvation comes from union with Christ- our baptism speaks of that union and identifies us as those who “aren’t from here.” What could be more practical than entering into the life of our Savior…every year, year after year? It’s a way of bringing my children’s baptism before their eyes daily, and that has everything to do with who they are, and this has everything to do with my hearts deepest longing for each of them. I wish I had been more diligent in commending this precious treasure of the church to the families that were present.

For those who are interested, an earlier version of Hannah’s Book can be found under the Desire 101 Label. The chapters will come up in reverse order, but you can skip right to the desired chapter by a link at the bottom of each post.

Can’t wait to see each of you again. Please pray for us.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

Although I didn't attend the conference, it was a pleasure to meet you, Phil and family.

I'm always amazed at how often many bloggers & message board participants end up meeting in real life.

Unknown said...

Your words brought a work God was doing in me for a year and a half to completion and sparked a revolution in my life purpose! A million thanks for not being swallowed by your Jonahian fear. Please keep reading, thinking *and* speaking, Moses!

Phil James said...

Stephanie, thank you for your encouragment. I enjoyed your presentation. I've been researching it some and am sure it will help me with those children of mine that I have trouble "getting".

Thanks again.